|Millstone park (20 June 2021 - 16 Aug 2021)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Guided tours: 12.00 - 16.00
You can visit Millstone Park on your own outside the opening hours (free of charge). Group visits and special tours can be arranged at any time of year by calling +47 458 71 940
Join the stone adventure! The Millstone Park in Hyllestad is an outdoor museum in the largest stone quarry landscape from the Viking period and Middle Ages in Northern Europe. Here you will experience another side of history: The Vikings as skilled craftsmen and traders!
At the Millstone Park you can travel back in time to the Viking and Middle Ages. Stone was the “gold” of Hyllestad. Stonemasons worked at hundreds of stone quarries, carving millstone after millstone to be shipped out into the wider world. At this time the millstone was a fundamental item. There was no food without the millstone! If you wanted to eat bread or porridge, you first had to grind the grain using a quern stone or water mill in order to make flour. The millstone trade in Hyllestad was a good source of income – for those who owned the land and held the power.
At Millstone Park we take you on a tour through the stone quarries. The Vikings toiled here more than a thousand years ago, with skill, sweat, and perhaps tears when yet another stone got a crack and broke. This was a world in which it was very important to be able to make things with one’s own hands. After the tour of the quarries you can also use your hands - or relax by the fire and enjoy something good to eat.
- Grind grain with the rotary hand quern, made from local garnet micaschist, or with an even older, simple grinding stone
- Make your own dough from the flour you have just ground, bake it over the bonfire
- Get a piece of soapstone and carve whatever you fancy from this softest of stones. Pendant for a necklace?
- Try traditional whipcording and make a cord for your necklace pendant
- Try the traditional loom, weave on!
- Visit the smithy and help the blacksmith with the bellows (irregular activity)
- Make your own tar from pine wood – in an empty can… (irregular activity)
- Enjoy at the fire place, with fresh milstone bread or raised pancakes
- Say hello to the rabbits and feed them with dandelion.
In Hyllestad you'll meet Norway at its best! Close to the Atlantic Ocean, at the mouth of Sognefjorden – far away from the hassle of mass tourism! Here you can enjoy fjords and mountains, watch fantastic sunsets (and storms!) and immerse yourself in a grand history of millstone production.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||NOK60.00 1 day|
|Children (7-17)||NOK30.00 1 day|
|Children under 7 years||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
The easiest way to reach Hyllestad is by car. If you come along the coastal highway route E39; drive west from the Sognefjorden ferry crossing point, at the Lavik pier. From Lavik it is 25 min to Hyllestad and Millstone Park.
By coastal express boat
Board the boat in Bergen, 2 h later you will be at Rysjedalsvika, about 13 km from Millstone Park. You can take the corresponding bus to Hyllestad, or give us a call (+47-458 71 940), and we will help you out with local transport. Schedule for express boat, see Norled’s website. Schedule for local bus, see Kringom’s website. Taxi in Hyllestad and the region, e.g. Leirvik Taxi, phone no. +47-957 88 100.
Travel by bike! There is little traffic in Hyllestad and generally along the West coast. Perfect for biking!